The Brace Christmas turkey WITH GARLIC, SAGE AND STREAKY BACON
This delicious recipe by Brace of Butchers chef Mark Vaughan will help make your Christmas meal simple but mouthwatering. Serves six guests with the all essential leftovers.
1 sprig fresh sage
12 slices BoB smoked streaky bacon
1 bulb garlic broken into cloves
4 medium red onions, peeled
2 sticks celery, trimmed and chopped
1 handful breadcrumbs
1 handful dried apricots
300g BoB minced pork
1 lemon, zested
1 pinch grated nutmeg 1 large free-range egg Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper
12 small sprigs of fresh rosemary, plus a few extra
4-4.5 kg Chilcott Turkey, at room temperature 2 carrots, peeled
Olive oil 2 tablespoons plain flour 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to maximum. Heat a saucepan until medium hot and add a splash of olive oil, the sage leaves and six of the bacon strips.
2. Peel and chop 2 garlic cloves and 1 onion. Add the garlic, celery and onion to the saucepan and fry everything gently until soft and golden brown.
3.Take the pan off the heat, chop the apricots roughly and add to the pan along with the breadcrumbs and stir in. 4. When the stuffing has cooled, add the pork, lemon zest, nutmeg, egg and a good seasoning of salt and pepper, mix together well.
5. Chop the remaining onions in half and slice the carrots thickly. Give your turkey a good wipe, inside and out, with kitchen paper, and place it on a board, with the neck end towards you. Find the edge of the skin that’s covering the turkey’s breasts and gently peel it back. Work your fingers and then your hand under the skin, freeing it from the meat. If you’re careful you should be able to pull all the skin away from the meat, keeping it attached at the sides. Go slowly and try not to make any holes! Lift the loose skin at the neck end and spoon the stuffing between the skin and the breast, tucking the flap of skin underneath to stop anything leaking out.
6. Place your turkey on a large roasting tray, rub it all over with olive oil and season well. Surround with the chopped carrots, onions, remaining garlic, cover with tinfoil and place in the preheated oven. Turn the heat down right away to 180£∞C/350£∞F/gas 4, and roast for 20 minutes per lb , making sure that the juices run clear from the thigh if you pierce it with a knife.
7. Remove the tinfoil for the last 45 minutes to brown, Carefully lift the turkey out of the tray and rest on a board that’s covered loosely with foil for at least 1 hour.
8. When the resting time is nearly up, skim the surface fat from the roasting tray and add the flour and stock. Place the tray on the hob and bring to the boil on a high heat. When the gravy starts to thicken, strain it into a bowl. Carve your turkey, serve with your gravy and enjoy with your favourite vegetables and of course roast potatoes.
Enjoy your Christmas Turkey.