This month we were drawn into Brace of Butchers after spotting their wonderful vegetable selection this week. Owner Tom Amery gives us the secret recipe to one of his favourite dishes.
Summertime Stuffed Marrows
1 marrow, about 900g
450g pork BoB sausagemeat
1 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
120g dried breadcrumbs
50g of pine nits
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
40g grated Parmesan cheese
50g of mozzarella cheese
Prep:30min, Cook:45min, Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C.
- Cut the marrow in half lengthways or if you have round ones from the shop currently cut the top off.
- Scoop out the seeds, and discard and then scoop out the flesh, and chop finely. Leave about 1cm of flesh in the marrow halves.
- Place the two halves in a suitable baking dish that’s been lightly greased.£† It pays to create a groove to let any moisture from the marrow drain out while cooking into the tray.
- Mix the chopped marrow flesh with the sausagemeat, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stuff marrow halves with the sausagemeat mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until sausagemeat is cooked and crunchy on top. Cover with mozzarella cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
Enjoy your new dish. All ingredients for this dish can be bought at Brace of Butchers, Queen Mother Square, Poundbury, Dorset, DT1 3RT. Tel 01305 260956